RE: [Shaku] #87

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 14:30:03 PST

>Well, obviously somebody once learned it on their own, without a teacher,
>or the instrument wouldn't exist...

At first glance this seems like a very compelling idea. Someone somewhere
must of been the first person to play shakuhachi, right?

But actually that isn't true.

What we nowadays call shakuhachi playing is a product of a tradition passed
down, developed, changed, and advanced by many generations of players. What
we recognize as shakuhahci playing and shakuhachi music is the product of a
few centuries of work. If we could watch the first person ever to blow into
bamboo, what we might be tempted to call the first shakuhahci player, I am
sure it would bare no resembalance whatsoever to what we all do nowadays.

To blow into a peice of bamboo you do not need a teacher. But to learn to
play shakuhachi, with all that that entials, for better or worse, you need a
teacher.

(My God, I can not believe I am still employed!)