[Shaku] Utaguchi

From: Tuscia-Falconer (falconer@enternet.co.nz)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 08:49:11 PST

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C52790.61DA5680
        charset="iso-8859-1"

A question regarding Utaguchi.

I am making flutes from some bamboo growing in my backyard, and I don't =
have visual skills so am not thinking of inserting Utaguchi, rather I am =
trying to shape it from the bamboo itself.
So far the main issue I have is to get a shape that will give me the =
ability to get a good shift in meri/keri, this seems to require a shape =
with little curve so that the lips can keep close to the edge. This is =
not so easy to do as the natural curve of the bamboo lends more to a =
rounded Utaguchi, I can see why an insert was developed, perhaps not =
only to provide a strong edge but also to provide a straighter edge.
I am a novice here but am getting some success and enjoyment from this =
endeavour, however I would appreciate any input from others with any =
experience doing this.

Do all Shakuhachi have an insert to their Utaguchi ?

I have seen reference to an undercut beneath the Utaguchi that acts to =
prevent 'stalling' of the air flow, but I have seen a professionally =
made flute that does not have this and I can also see how their can be =
some of the wood from the cell division wall left to act as an undercut.

Any information welcome.

Thanks,

Kel.

.
------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C52790.61DA5680
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-FAMILY: Arial"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 bgColor=3D#000000 leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 =
rightMargin=3D7>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A question regarding Utaguchi.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am making flutes from some bamboo growing in my backyard, and I =
don't=20
have visual skills so am not thinking of inserting Utaguchi, rather I am =
trying=20
to shape it from the bamboo itself.</DIV>
<DIV>So far the main issue I have is to get a shape that will give me =
the=20
ability to get a good shift in meri/keri, this seems to require a shape =
with=20
little curve so that the lips can keep close to the edge. This is not so =
easy to=20
do as the natural curve of the bamboo lends more to a rounded Utaguchi, =
I can=20
see why an insert was developed, perhaps not only to provide a strong =
edge but=20
also to provide a straighter edge.</DIV>
<DIV>I am a novice here but am getting some success and enjoyment from =
this=20
endeavour, however I would appreciate any input from others with any =
experience=20
doing this.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Do all Shakuhachi have an insert to their Utaguchi ?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have seen reference to an undercut beneath the Utaguchi that acts =
to=20
prevent 'stalling' of the air flow, but I have seen a professionally =
made flute=20
that does not have this and I can also see how their can be some of the =
wood=20
from the cell division wall left to act as an undercut.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any information welcome.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>