[Shaku] Zen or not Zen.

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 02:53:05 PST

--- Frederick Court <fwrcourt@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If anyone can direct to me to textual references re
> traditions of Zen schools associated with Shakuhachi
> would be very interested.
> Even poems by Japanese masters through out the ages
> associated with flute playing of any type.
>
> Thanks

Hi Frederick
I shall just share what I have heard. It seems that
when the Fuke-shu was forming, that is, the "sect" of
ex-samurai shakuhachi players, they needed formal
recognitioin as a sect of Buddhism. Kind of political
or whatever. With that recognition, they had their
various entitlements, and ended up actually with many
privilages, such as permission to travel anywhere in
Japan (which usually required permision to cross each
provincial border, but not fot this sect). Well, they
managed somehow, so it seems, to be accepted as a sect
under the Zen school. So they are "Zen". However, ask
the Zen schools and it seems they will tell you,
Fuke-shu is NOT Zen.
 That's what I heard.
 Best wishes
 Justin.