[Shaku] Basta-que (enough already)

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 08:11:28 PST

Shortly after my last message to the list I left town (and email)
for a couple of days. I returned to more of what I thought was a
finished discussion.

This note is to say that, officially, the discussion about whether
or not the Shakuhachi Summer Camp should cost to attend is over.
I've gotten more than a few requests to terminate the discussion
and, as list manager, I am doing so. As those of you on the list
know, I don't do this often. I think it's justified in this case.
If you disagree, you're welcome to contact me off list and discuss
my fiat.

And I am going to offer a few comments on courtesy.

1. I teach film analysis classes. The first thing I demand of my
students is that they abstain from the use of value judgements.
Comments like "it's a ripoff" are not objective statments about the
world, they're your personal opinions. When participating in public
discussions, leave your opinions at home or, if you must subject us
to them, at least have the good grace to label them as your
opinions so we can ignore them if we choose.

2. Likewise for subjective readings into the words of others.
Statements like "I want things cheaper and more accessable, others
seem to want things more expensive and exclusive" are neither valid
(the latter does not necessarily follow from the former) nor
conducive to debate.

3. Learn to manage your mail program. Many programs like Outlook at
Netscape Mail have "Send HTML messages turned on by default. Turn
it off. They also tend to copy the message being responded to into
your response. Turn that off too. While quoting a sentence or two
is frequently useful, large blocks of text just push up the
bandwidth use. As mentioned before, and well-worth reiterating,
both of these make digest viewing more difficult.

Now, let's let this subject go. If some people persist, the rest of
us are free to decline to respond. And some restraint is called for
all around.

bj

-