[Shaku] teachers/newbe

From: mtrddog (mtrddog@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 07:50:20 PST

well I was surprised to see , my mail box full this
last week, as I was out of town for awhile and boy
what topics from the informative (fixing cracks)all
the way to Teachers and festivals , 1st let me say
that I been a congero for some 30yrs and I love my
craft and thier are all types of festivals and shows
one can go to but if I have the money I go if not well
I don't (were is the big sweet)also I have to tell you
what has happen to me in looking for a Teacher here in
the bay area , were blessed with the few we have , I
email Philip Gelb, and his rates I could not afford so
I sent him an e-mail letting him know what I could pay
him his responce was " i
never
turn a student away due to lack of funds"also when I
went to see him he gave all of himself to the time he
gave me which I thought was long , in any teaching
area I would say Philip showed me his love for the
flute plus his respect for those wanting to learn ,
also he got this feeling from him that he also
respected how it came to him (history also). With that
said if I did have the money he wanted first it would
be a great spend also you know up front you got a top
notch teacher , I feel I'm no good hands (thats the
point) not the money
so I much apperciate the time that teachers give
knowing my own end of it ina differant instrument ,
thnaks to all teachers , they don't get enough parise
.