Re: [Shaku] Honkyoku as public display

From: Tuscia-Falconer (falconer@enternet.co.nz)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 13:37:10 PST

"Even given the meditation aspects of suizen, can one play without a
sense of "audience"? That is, without taking into consideration all
of the surrounding environment?"

IMO....to be playing with a sense of audience one would need to have a sense
of 'self'.
Again IMO the essence of Zen is a 'one-ness' where subject and object are no
longer separate.
Therefore IMO with honkyukyu, 'performer' and 'audience' are no longer
separate.

This 'state of consciousness' mey last the full period of playing or may
only last for one second of playing, but perhaps for the 'meditator' it is
more important to have recognized (past tense) the quality of this
mindfulness.
A very interesting question because this absorbtion does not always arise
'on demand', but is known by the experienced practicioner......IMO

note; I am an absolute novice regarding Shakuhachi tradition and
terminology, but I do know the sound of one hand clapping. ;-)

Kel.