Re: [Shaku] Honkyoku as public display

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 15:26:55 PST

--- Karl Signell <signell@cpcug.org> wrote:
> At 03:56 PM 3/15/2005, Bruce Jones wrote:
> >Are there traditions of "religious" music ... that
> deliberately
> >don't involve any opportunity for an audience?
>
> In the sacred mi-kagura of Japan, the orchestra
> plays music and the Emperor
> plays the role of celebrant in a Shinto ritual. No
> one else attends.

Hi.

And another thing. The meditation/liturgy breakdown
breaks down in unexpected ways.

At Tibetan Buddhist functions, I always expect to see
a certain number of folks in "drag". There is a sort
of fashion show to see who has the neatest mala
(prayer beads), shawl and other dharma trinkets. I
would call this devout display. The liturgical
costume aspect can spill over into the audience.

Then I heard someone talking about how close he was to
a swami when said swami entered samadhi. That is
meditation as display.

Tibetan ritual can be performed solo. Some people
sing and play bells then. So there is solo ritual as
show. Others will do the ritual silently, so there is
ritual as meditation.

This is just the start at cataloguing the variations.

Regards,

John Baker