Re: [Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #803

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 13:26:51 PST

On 3/17/05 2:02 PM, "Mark Miller" <markm@naropa.edu> wrote:

> Buddhist meditation usually involves two aspects,
> tranquility and analysis. The analysis is fueled by
> study of texts.
>
> I have difficulty locating playing shakuhachi along
> the meditation continuum. It fits easily into the
> performance category.
>
> Meditation is not just tranquility (I wish it were; it would be a lot more
> fun) and analysis is not just about texts. Meditation includes everything
> within the meditator's experience, pleasant, unpleasant and indifferent. I
> heard a Tibetan monk and teacher once describe meditation as the practice of
> "becoming familiar with one's experience". Analysis can (and should) be of
> one's own experience as well as of Buddhist teachings.
>
> In Mahayana Buddhism, there's a sense that one must go beyond words in
> reaching and expressing one's understanding. The arts, including shakuhachi,
> are a path beyond words. What do we find when we play? How do we express
> what's important? It would be interesting to share our insights.
>
> Performance can be an empty display, or it can be an offering to one's
> community of great depth and generosity.
>
> Mark Miller

Nice words/thoughts Mark. When I play for others, or myself, I usually
close my eyes, have very few or no thoughts at all, and am in a state of
intense listening. I mainly listen to the sound of the shakuhachi, be
inside the sound, but am also aware of the audience and all sounds and
smells, breezes etc. around me. I once played just after an East Indian
dance troupe and as they were filing out off stage their ankle bells made
quite a sound. I didn't try to filter it out. I find that though I am aware
of all sounds I am not bothered by them. I can enter this state in a
recording studio too. It allows real creativity.

It wasn't always this way. It took many years. I'm grateful that this
happens quite often now. It beats cotton mouth and sweaty palms and
thinking "do they like it, hate it or aren't I good/terrible etc".

  I believe I'm not so much in a state of concentration (trying to shut out
stimuli) but one of awareness, of taking everything in. Accepting what's
going on and just being a part of it. Sometimes out in nature I pick up my
flute, then without playing put it down. "I can't add to this".

I played at a funeral once and that helped me to realize both how
unimportant I was in/at that moment (it's not about me) but also how
powerful shakuhachi can be in a situation where finding just the right words
is so difficult.

Of course when I put my flute down I usually return to my old sarcastic New
York self.

I'm at my best/freest when I'm not around, and blowing shakuhachi. It's a
wonderful break from myself, the world.

I don't want to put a name to this state. Just grateful for it.

Peter