[Shaku] Midare

From: Jeff Cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 03:42:35 PST

Ronnie,
Thanks for the volumnous examples of recordings of Midare. I should have
checked but I certainly appreciate your tip as well as that of Ed's which
came to me privately.
Al, thanks so much for your offering. The reason that I inquired is that
I'm in the beginning processes of recording for a new CD with Ora-J's 20
string koto player Fujikawa Izumi. Though the recording will cover quite a
long time spread, all the way from one of the oldest kinko ryu honkyoku
pieces to some very recently composed (especially for this cd)gendai pieces,
we want to include one koten koto/shakuhachi piece and Midare is our prime
consideration. It's a beautifully expressive piece that allows for a great
deal of interpretation which is certainly unusual for pieces of its period.
Al, please let us know more about your recording when it comes available.
Peter, I hear you.
Dan, thank you so much for the info on demographics of shakuhachi player in
Japan. I absolutely suspected that there were big differences in different
regions. I strongly suspect that places with a larger percentage of kinko
players reflects the presence of a well known kinko teacher. Kumamoto is
very fortunate to have one in Tsurugi Kodo sensei.
Bill and Dan, its nice to hear from two other compatriots here in Japan.
I'd love to hear more from you on or offline.
cheers
jeff