Re: [Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #803

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 14:47:56 PST

>From: John Baker <jinpa19822003@yahoo.com>
>
>Mimicry could include a reputation, the request for the performance,
>the willing audience, and the performance. Does self-promotion
>count as request?

I've lost track of the distinctions here. As I remember (and can
construct from the archives) the distinction was being drawn between
display and performance. Is that accurate?

>If you add a mimicry requirement that flute be a new fad, I think
>you're going to have problems.

Because? For most of the folks we (GaiChikuKai) play for, the
shakuhachi is a new experience. What kind of problems would that
introduce? (Please note: that is a genuine question, not an attempt
to be merely provacative).

>Personally, I think the story illustrates behavior of a teacher
>who knows that he cannot get through, so he just presents reality
>and leaves it to the student to catch up.

Yes.

bj

-