[Shaku] The Virtual Komuso - part 1

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 00:53:31 PST

Hidiho,
I've been playing around with one of the virtual communities on the web,
doing some R&D hooking up biofeedback sensors to the virtual world.

All this discussion on lessons, tradition, and history inspired me to
inject my komuso avatar into the virtual world...I figure this list
could use a laugh for a change:-)

Here are a few pics of me playing my flute in the online realm.
It is 4 pics @ 365K so if you are not on broadband go have a coffee
while they load.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~paulcohen/secondlife/virtualkomuso.htm

Yes, I'm working on an authentic bamboo flute model, and starting to
record some of my own loops for upload and original streaming
compositions.
It's actually pretty cool, wandering around exploring, stopping,
"playing" a while to see what the reaction is...it's been very positive
so far.

I used to busk a lot in RealLife(tm) (way back when) and the first time
I pulled out my new virtual "flute" I attracted a bunch of dancers and
scored $125 in virtual donations...and I did'nt even have a hat out!
(bottom pic)

Am I the first virtual komuso?
Have others walked these digital byways before me?
If a flute plays alone on a server somewhere in north america, does
anyone hear it?
Who else will join the ranks of...VIRTUAL KOMUSO!!!

I wonder...stay tuned for more adventures of...The Virtual Komuso!!!

:-)

Re: Learning - I can't afford lessons at the moment either, and only
have my $80 Aussie "Humble Bamboo" jinashii and Y8000 Yuu ABS
Shakuhachi's to practice with. But it does'nt stop me practising,
playing, and listening to cd's at all...