Re: [Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #803

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 07:42:16 PST

--- Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> >From: John Baker <jinpa19822003@yahoo.com>
> >
> >Mimicry could include a reputation, the request for
> the performance,
> >the willing audience, and the performance.
>
> I've lost track of the distinctions here.

The point is that if you want to assimilate your
playing to the special display of playing for the
emperor, you will need to include these elements.

> >If you add a mimicry requirement that flute be a
> new fad, I think
> >you're going to have problems.
>
> Because?

Because the shakuhachi has been recorded and these
recordings have been available since the 1960s to my
knowledge. It's true that my playing is new but my
awareness is not. A fad is a thing of months, not of
years. How long did the twist dance last. (I know
there are people still doing it, but the general
public came, saw and left that dance.)

On a personal note, I spent most of the weedend doing
Tibetan things. I liked my new awareness of ritual
informing the performances of ritual I attended. I
suppose it's the Bon elements that disturb me. Is it
necessary to pacify the local spirits in California in
2005?

If shakuhachi is a liturgical instrument, do you burn
incense to it and make offerings as they do for
gamelans? Didgiridoos? Etc.

Regards,

John Baker