Re: [Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #803

From: Tuscia-Falconer (falconer@enternet.co.nz)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 11:30:52 PST

"If shakuhachi is a liturgical instrument, do you burn
incense to it and make offerings as they do for
gamelans? Didgiridoos? Etc."

What are the pragmatics of any ritual ?

I find the Shakuhachi a very sensitive instrument, particularly to the
present 'vitality' of my breath. After blowing for five minutes or so, my
breath is 'warming up' to the instrument, my lips are softening to the
bamboo, my fingers are lightening to its feel, my belly is swelling with
air.
Perhaps the purpose of a ritual is to prepare aspects of one's being for
playing.

Make up your own ritual. :-)

Kel.