[Shaku] WOOD FLUTES

From: JASON CASTNER (jchanwagenki@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 10:43:58 PST

Has anyone made a flute out of Elder wood before? In
Europe people have made Elder tree branches into
flutes since a long time ago.... I'm going to make
one this spring. I have to wait for spring to see the
berries and blossoms because thats the only way I can
tell what an Elder tree looks like. The branches have
a very soft pith that can be pushed/burned out to make
a hollow tube. Maybe this is an idea for people that
wanna make their own flutes but bamboo isnt around.
But be careful...read the lore and myth surrounding
elder trees and be respectful when cutting your
branch.

Jason