Re: [Shaku] #86

From: T. M. Hoffman  (ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2005 - 04:06:51 PST

Hi, missed the original of this topic (been busy in India throughout March),
but often thought that I would like to see/hear what could emerge from
someone picking up shakuhachi and putting in 20 yrs of playing without
hearing a single existing example of what anyone else has played on it.
Hardly possible in this age of media accompanying you even into the shower.
Honkyoku = music for that specific instrument; could have a much more varied
definition.

Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Associaton has initiated a slightly less
radical experiment in India this month - donated a koto to Bhatkhande Music
Institute students in Lucknow (my home/school of 4 yrs back in the 80's)
without leaving any recordings or instruction materials from Japan or
elsewhere. I also had a series of 'ragahachi' concerts and etc through N
India, got recharged from sharing spontaneity on stage together with hot
hands and voices that know no fear...

Cheerio from the bamboonies of Gunma,

Tim Hoffman