[Shaku] The Virtual Komuso - an explanation

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 09:26:12 PST

Hi,

My apologies if this did not make sense to some of you.

Blame my sense of humour and the cryptic nature of my message:-)

The purpose of the last post was just to focus some attention, in a
lighthearted manner through my character "Virtual Komuso", on an
interesting social phenomenom that has some potential
benefits/opportunities for the shakuhachi community in the coming
months/years.

A heads up, if you will.

http://crystaltips.typepad.com/wonderland/2005/03/cory_o_on_secon.html
is a recent article from the developers of this particlar system on the
uses of their virtual community for Serious Games, or games for
non-entertainment purposes. It's a good summary of what they are on
about.

I'm involved in the early stages of a project that is looking at
integrating biofeedback sensors into this environment for the purposes
of encouraging inner development. Check it out here
http://gaeacoop.org/cgi-bin/InnerLife/index.cgi for some more info if
you are interested.

What has this to do with the shakuahchi list?

Well, if you went and looked at the Virtual photo web log link in the
last message you will see a bunch of snapshots taken in a club setting.
I came across this place last week when they were having a virtual
concert.
There was a guy on stage with a virtual guitar streaming a live music
concert from his home somewhere into this virtual set.
It was pretty cool...not my taste in music, but the concept was pretty
powerful.

Especially when I found out that it goes on a lot, most of it DJ's
streaming sets into virtual clubs, but the odd live concert is
happening.

If the project I'm involved in gets up and running I can see at some
stage we may have an ingame event where the streaming music could well
be a live concert.

A Shakuhachi concert would be perfect for this, as would other
instruments compatible with meditative activities.

Anyone interested in possibly particpating in a future event of this
sort please contact me off list and I'll keep you up to date as we
progress with it.
It will involve some technical setup, but I'm sure there are some of you
out there conversant with the requirements for this, or can pick it up
fairly quickly directly or through contacts.

I don't think at this stage there would be any money involved because of
the early stage this non-profit project is at.
However, I leave it up to you to judge where it's going and the possible
benefits for involvement.

Paul

Ps: Rest easy - no Part 3 for Virtual Komuso will be assaulting the
list. You'll have to follow his adventures yourself if interested:-)