[Shaku] Letter to the US Parole Commission

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 10:57:22 PST

--============_-1099913443==_ma============

Thanks everyone for the tremendous response and outpouring of support.

The fate of Veronza Bowers, Jr. plea for mandatory parole is now in
the hands of the U.S. Parole Commission. All five members of the
Commission will convene in the days to follow to consider his case
and make a decision. Their decision is final, so I cannot emphasize
the importance of this event. We are coming the end of a very long
road and appreciate your help this one last time.

Veronza, his family, friends and supporters have decided to initiate
a letter writing campaign to the U.S. Parole Commission to help
counter the false and distorted image of him presented by the
Fraternal Order of Police, FBI and others. Please join us in writing
to the Commission expressing your support for Veronza's release on
mandatory parole.

In addressing the Commission, I urged everyone to avoid referring to
Veronza as a political prisoner or attempting to address the fairness
of his original conviction. This will only work against him. Rather,
letters should be framed in a positive light and emphasize his
institutional adjustment, many positive works during the time of his
incarceration, strong support amongst family and friends, solid
spiritual foundation as well as any other issues that will convince
the Commission he would be not a threat, but a benefit to society and
a strong candidate to succeed if released on parole.

Tell the Commissioners who you are. If you have had direct contact
with Veronza, feel free to discuss it. Please go to Veronza's web
site at http://www.veronza.org to familiarize yourself with details
of his 31-year incarceration and to help frame your letter. The best
advice I can offer is to speak in your own voice and to speak from
your heart.

Time is off the essence, so please write or, better yet, FAX your
letter to the USPC as soon as possible. It should be addressed to all
five Commissioners as follows:

United State Parole Commission
National Commissioners
Park Place Building
5550 Friendship Blvd. (Suite 420)
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7286
FAX: (301) 492-5543

To the Attention of:
Mr. Edward F. Reilly, Jr. (Chairman)
Mr. Cranston J. Mitchell
Ms. Deborah A. Spagnoli
Ms. Patricia Cushwa
Mr. Isaac Fulwood

Please use a letterhead, if possible. If not, be sure to include your
return address. Open by referring to Veronza Bowers, Jr. plea for
mandatory parole. If you do not have FAX capabilities, feel free to
e-mail me your letter and I will print and FAX it on to the
Commission. (Please let me know if you need this done.) Similarly, if
you have any questions or need help, do not hesitate to contact me
via phone, FAX or e-mail. I'll be on call to facilitate this process.
It's OK to call late if necessary as I am generally working in the
shop. I would very much like to have a copy of your letter, so send
it to me if you are so inclined. (Again, tell me if you need the
letter relayed to the USPC or have sent it directly.)

Thanks again for your help and support. This is our last shot. Hope
to have some good news to report soon.

All the best,

Monty

Tel.: 707-459-3402