Re: [Shaku] internet lessons

From: nyogetsu@nyogetsu.com
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 14:21:13 PDT

> Dear list,
>
> I just gave two lessons with students over the internet for the first
> time last night and it went very well considering lack of real person
> to person contact. Sound and visual quality suffered but it certainly
> was interesting and has potential. Of course the better equipment you
> have (camera, mic, computer, etc.) the better the reception.
>
> Definitely person to person is the best kind of lesson, but I feel
> internet is the next best thing.

Hi Al and everyone else!

I agree with Al that person-to person is still the best way to study
Shakuhachi if possible, and at the same time I wish him the best of luck in
his use of the Internet for "remote" Shakuhachi lessons. He is a fine player
and teacher, and I hope that many will take advantage of his offer!

As most of you know , I have been teaching via cassette for over 20 years
and have been fortunate in having students study with me this way from 26
states, and 6 foreign countries.

Recently, through the help of one of my students , I have incorporated the
use of the computer in teaching students over it (using the Internal Mic
that I have in my computer. But it can be done as well, of course, with an
external mic.) The set-up is free and quite easy. The student who found me
the free program to record with -Tim Larkin- is very technologically savvy
(I'm not), very patient, and has a generous heart.

The computer method eliminates the need for postage and the "turn-around"
waiting time that is necessary between lessons. (If any one is interested, I
feel the same as Al- please contact me off-list.)

But I think that Al's way is great- you can actually watch the Teacher!

I guess the future holds a lot of great promise for students between the
East and West Coasts who have had very limited study possibilities!

Best of Luck, Al!
Ronnie