[Shaku] Natto Quartet CD release

From: Philip Gelb (phil@philipgelb.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 10:26:12 PDT

Hello

I am very happy to announce the release of the second CD by the Natto Quartet!!
Our first CD received rave reviews and we expect similar reactions to this one.
Look for a CD release concert in the bay area this summer.

The Natto Quartet is:
Chris Brown - piano
Philip Gelb - shakuhachi
Shoko Hikage - koto
Tim Perkis - electronics

you can mail order the CD directly from me. Please send a check for
$15 to Philip Gelb 840 warfield avenue, #9, Oakland, CA 94610

My website is undergoing a radical reconstruction and CDs are
currently not available on there but you will be able to purchase
from my website in a month or so.

By collectively leaving the traditional and cultural roles of their
acoustic instruments behind, shakuhachi player Philip Gelb, koto
player Shoko Hikage and pianist/electronic musician Chris Brown, join
live electronics pioneer Tim Perkis in finding common ground in the
extended and experimental technique associated with improvised music.
The ability of manipulated electronics to create otherwise
unavailable musical sounds meshes with the acoustic musicians' desire
to reinvent the possibilities of timbre and instrumental interaction
in a collectively improvising ensemble. The result is a beautiful and
elastic music that creatively juxtaposes old and new, acoustic and
electric, and tradition and innovation.

The members of the Natto Quartet have performed together in various
configurations for years, finally solidifying as a quartet in 2002 to
perform both composed works and freely improvised music. Gelb has
studied the shakuhachi, an ancient Japanese bamboo flute, since 1988,
and is one of the only performers in the United States to use the
instrument in the new improvised music context. Hikage grew up
studying the koto, traditionally a 13-string chamber music instrument
taught to women in Japan, and uses her extensive classical training
on her instrument in both traditional and new music applications. A
founding member of the influential interactive computer network
ensemble The Hub, Perkis performs regularly on the improvised music
scene where he utilizes customized software and hardware to create
his unique and sensitive electronic approach. Brown, who frequently
collaborated with Trio Natto before it officially became a quartet,
is the Co-Director of Contemporary Music at Mills College in Oakland,
an epicenter of live electronics performance. He is a composer,
electronic musician, and pianist whose mobile preparations and
inside-the-piano technique help redefine the instrument's role.

Musicians: Philip Gelb (shakuhachi), Shoko Hikage (koto), Tim Perkis
(electronics), Chris Brown (piano)

"...each sound has the self-contained integrity of a stroke of
masterful calligraphy... each musician seems to have a perfect bead
on the other's next steps... the resulting anticipation is as
rewarding as the music's frequently surreal hues." - The Wire

"...exotic, exquisitely crafted and eye-opening." - Signal to Noise

"...truly new music unlike anything I've ever heard, a strong
candidate for best avant project of 2003, and sure to turn many a
global thinking, progressive minded ear inside out." - Michael G.
Nastos

--
xoxo

Philip Gelb Bay Area Shakuhachi School vegetarian personal chef phil@philipgelb.com http://www.philipgelb.com http://www.bayareashakuhachi.com _____________________________________________