Re: [Shaku] Flute Making

From: Tuscia-Falconer (falconer@enternet.co.nz)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 01:10:17 PDT

David, yes, yes and yes......there is a lot to learn about the bamboo that
will make a good flute. For a particular key you will need a particular
length. To get the higher registers you will need to cut it at the roots so
that the bore has a taper. You need to let it dry before you can work with
it. You can hollow out the culm while it is still soft.
You don't want young wood, young wood will still have some leaves around the
base. And you don't want wood at the edge of the stand of bamboo that gets
sun on it. You also need to select a good diameter, not too large or too
small and preferable have a node at each end.
When cutting use a fine tooth blade that will not tear at the outer layer.

Do some google searching, there is a lot of information there. and also go
through the archives from this list.

Have lots of patience and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Kel.

Subject: [Shaku] Flute Making

I helped a friend out this weekend and her neighbors grow bamboo. She
told me that they have lots of bamboo that they cut just lying around.
I asked her to see if they charge for taking stalks.
I want to use the wood to make shakuhachi. Is there anything about the
wood that I should know? What tools should I have? Are there any good
books that I can read?

Thanks,
David