[Shaku] Concert in Oakland, California

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 23:45:30 PDT

Hello everybody.

I thought i would announce my thesis recital in about 2 week, which will be
the finishing point for me at Mills College and, I guess, USA. I will then
have an MFA in performance.

On April 27, 8 pm I will be playing in the Mills College Concert Hall.
the program will be:

1. Tsuru no Mae by Vytautas Germanavicius (Lithuania). This piece is
composed for me and has 4 movements played on 1.8; 1.6; 2.9; 2.4

2. The Tender Sadness of Tyrants as They Dance by Frank Denyer (2.2
shakuhachi and bass flute). Denyer is the composer that worked very closely
with Iwamoto Yoshikazu. This piece was written for him and the flutist Jos
Zwaanenburg. I went to rehease with Zwaanenburg in March and he will fly out
to California from Holland to play this piece with me. We will both be
tapping rhythms with our feet wearing tap dance shoes and sing, while
playing.

3. Ryoanji by John Cage. The 3 pre-recorded parts are played on 1.8; 2.5;
2.9 and the live part will be played on 2.4. Here I will be joined by
percussionist Shayna Dunkelman.

4. Hvor mange shakuhachi er der? This is a short solo improvisation, using
my technique where I cover the bottom of the shakuhachi with my leg and the
top end is also totally covered by my mouth. I will stereo-mic' the
shakuhachi.

5. Improvisation. I will be joined by Fred Frith, guitar; Anne LeBaron,
harp; Kanoko Nishi, koto.

There will be reception afterwards, and there will be at least 3 types of
single malt scotch whiskey! :)
Well... and non-alcoholic drinks and food.

All the above pieces are, of course, played on ji-nashi shakuhachi.

If you have the possibility, please come!

Take care,
Kiku xxx