Re: [Shaku] New shakuhachi website and Binding Material.

From: Perry Yung (yungflutes@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 07:46:15 PDT

Hi Charles and everyone, apologies from this end too.
Obviously, that email was meant for Dominic only.
Here's the link to his new shakuhachi site:

 http://www.shakuhachi-newyork.com/

While I'm at it, here's a response to Tot's question
on binding. Different makers and repairmen use
different materials to bind. I do a traditional rattan
inlayed the way I learned it in Japan from Kinya
Sogawa and Tom Deaver. Or, the modern way with 18
-20lbs monofilament line. I only do the rattan inlays
when the owner of a cracked flute insists on it.
Beautiful as they are, cutting deep channels into the
bamboo is not the best thing for it.

For those interested, here's a link to some photos of
the process for doing inlayed bindings:

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/archives/2005/03/winter_shakuhac.html

 I find the monofilament to be most affective. When
done well, it grips the bamboo and doesn't require
glue (although I've seen some makers in Japan paint
urushi over it to prevent slippage).

Tots, you can try it yourself. All you need is the
fishing line, a pair of plyers, a C clamp, an exacto
razor knife and a fixed counter top. Here's a link
with instructions:
http://www.yungflutes.com/log/archives/2005/02/repairing_a_cra.html

Someone from the list emailed me but I was so busy at
the time, I forgot to repond. If you are really broke
and can't afford 20lbs fishing line, go down to the
pier or lake and gather the broken fishing that's
around. You may have to untangle it but it free.

I once had to play the shakuhachi in a theater
performance in Belgrade, in the Former Yugoslavia. My
flute cracked in the hotel the night before so I
wrapped a damp towel around it and left it in a
plastic bag over night.
 The next day, I searched and searched but there was
no fishing line to be found anywhere in downtown
Belgrade (and this was before the US Embargo!) But ,I
did find a great alternative in a plumbing shop, a
metal hose clamp. I used three on the flute and it
played it for the performance that evening. It works
so well, I didn't even bother to continue my search
for monfilament and did the rest of the tour with the
clamps on the shakuhachi.

Happy Roing all,
 Perry

"He is fast becoming one of the few Americans who make and repair shakuhachi" - Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, Grandmaster
http://www.yungflutes.com
"Three extremely talented young Asian American men." - New York Times
http://www.slantperformancegroup.com