[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #839

From: Greg Bartlett (icewrath@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 21:09:49 PDT

Stav
that was an excellent collection of points. Even people that make
excellent shakuhachi most of the time usually offer audition periods and
return policies in the event you just don't get along with the flute.
Perry Yung for example makes wonderful flutes and still offers a month
guarantee if you just fine it doesn't fit your needs. This is because he
and anyone with experience knows that every maker, every flute, and
every piece of bamboo is different. On the other side of that even if
they were all the same every person is different and since the person is
the only moving part that changes every time the shakuhachi is picked up
they are a big variable.

I have made shakuhachi for 22 years and I offer an unconditional
guarantee that isn't limited to any specific time myself because some
time it takes a while to get to know the flute and find out how it likes
to be played. I can take a flute from last year or last month and find
things I would do differently or find things that are great about it.
Lesson...all things change, even viewpoint.

I have tried the yuu and I like it. The one I got was a bit flat pitch
wise but consistent and could be played in tune with LOTS of kari. It
was, however very resonant and consistent. Just my opinion and even
molded, a very small difference can change the sound. As Stav said an
audition is the only way to find out if a flute is right for you.

Greg Bartlett

www.bigrockflutes.com