[Shaku] FLUTE MAKING

From: JASON CASTNER (jchanwagenki@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 08:29:24 PDT

I just wanted to share my current experiences.
Recently where I live we have had alot of rain plus
snow melting and all the lakes, streams, creeks were
flooded with just immense, surging, raw power, free
flowing, raging water! After the flood waters
subsided I took a few walks down the creek in front of
my house in the woods. At the base of a beautiful
waterfall I walked upon hundreds of broken off or
ripped out river cane stalks already dead and dried
out. My flute test was to eyeball good flute material
and then do the squeeze test. The squeeze test is
simply squeezing the length of flute material and if
it breaks its no good if I can squeeze it as hard as I
can and It holds up then I think it is good for a
flute! Well, the other night I had a bonfire and
heated up my metal rods and burned out 15 river cane
stalks. Then I simply hold a piece of sand paper on
the floor and run where I want the mouth peice to be
back and forth - (primitive style) When the mouth
piece looks almost done I run a special file and work
the blow edge just right. Right now I have 15 tubes
with blow edges and they produce the most beautiful
sound in 2 or sometimes 3 octaves. So I cant wait to
burn in finger holes, sand the charcoal off the bore,
paint with sealer and then with varnish for
preservation as well as beauty.

If anyone else makes flutes on this list share stories
with me. I would like to hear them, especially from
experienced flute makers but amateurs like me welcome
:)

Jason