[Shaku] drying culms

From: Tuscia-Falconer (falconer@enternet.co.nz)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 16:29:17 PDT

Hello,
I am collecting culms, not mandake but a very similar bamboo of consistet
size and for a novice I have had reasonable success in getting them to play.
My question is regarding curing and drying. I have not yet gotten into
'flaming' as a curing/drying process, all I have done is immediately after
culling I open up the nodes, then put is a dry shady shelf and leave. Some
of my culms seem to be going into oblesque shape, I don't think they looked
like this when I cut them but I am wondering whether this may be in part due
to opening up the nodes, I am thinking that perhaps by keeping the node
intact may provide more rigid support to the roundness ehile drying.
These culms vary from one to four months since being cut.
It is approaching Winter here in New Zealand and I am going out each week to
collect culms as I read this is the time to do so.
I am cutting the nodes out while fresh because (1) they are softer, and (2)
I am thinking this would promote more even drying.
Kel.