[Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #849

From: Jeff Cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 06:44:42 PDT

Kel,
With regard to drying your culms, I strongly suggest after taking them from
the ground, drawing the oils out while slowly rotating over red hot coals.
The oils will bubble to the surface and you should wipe the oil off. The
color should change from a dark green to a pale/whitish green. Any surface,
black coloration should come off at that time as well.
I would also suggest that you not remove the nodes while the bamboo rests in
a dark place. This should be done when you are ready to actually work the
piece.
Good luck with it.
jeff