Re: [Shaku] drying culms

From: Tim Cassler (Tim.Cassler@bromcomm.com)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 08:24:39 PDT

--=__Part725142A7.0__=

John has a good point. I, too, am grateful for the level of artisanship
and skill that goes into a well made shakuhachi. They are works of art.

That being said, I have to add that I get a great deal of pleasure out
of playing a 2.0 that I made out of a blank that I got from a guy in
California for $3.75, if I remember right. (I bought 4 and trashed 3 of
them in the process). At any rate, it must have absolutely been beginner
luck because my holes are in the right place. And though they are not
all the 'correct' size in diameter, the notes are in pitch and I can get
through the entire range of notes on it. Plus it has a real nice breathy
tone to it. The utaguchi was cut and sanded by hand....no insert, just
bamboo. A while back, I made a 2.4 out of 1" PVC, and it sounds good,
too.

All that being said, making a flute of one's own makes one appreciate
all the more the beauty and quality of a flute that is made by far more
capable, experienced and artistic hands.

Selah.

:o)

>>> jinpa19822003@yahoo.com 05/09/05 09:26AM >>>

--- Tuscia-Falconer <falconer@enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am collecting culms, not mandake but a very
> similar bamboo of consistet
> size and for a novice I have had reasonable success
> in getting them to play.
> My question is regarding curing and drying.

Hi.

Monty Levenson's web site shakuhachi.com has pictures
and narrative of his experiences gathering bamboo in
Japan. He harvests in January (Japanese winter) and
heats the bamboo to drive out the sap. Then he dries
the bamboo in the open weather for three years, I
believe. Heating the bamboo removes whatever attracts
the insects to the bamboo, so the insects do not eat
the harvest.

Then Monty makes a flute.

I think this is a long process that I, the customer,
have to pay for. I'm grateful to Monty and other
makers for what they do. If I had to make my own
flutes, I probably would not play.

Regards,

John Baker

--=__Part725142A7.0__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>John has a good point.&nbsp;I, too, am grateful&nbsp;fo=
r the=20
level of artisanship and skill that goes into a well made shakuhachi. They =
are=20
works of art.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>That being said, I have to add that I get a great deal =
of=20
pleasure out of playing a 2.0 that I made out of a blank that&nbsp;I got =
from a=20
guy in California for $3.75, if I remember right. (I bought 4 and trashed =
3 of=20
them in the process).&nbsp;At any rate, it must have absolutely been =
beginner=20
luck because my holes are in the right place. And though they are not all =
the=20
'correct' size in diameter, the notes are in pitch and I can get through =
the=20
entire range of notes on it. Plus it has a real nice breathy tone to it. =
The=20
utaguchi was cut and sanded by hand....no insert, just bamboo. </FONT><FONT=
=20
size=3D2>A while back, I made a 2.4 out of 1" PVC, and it sounds good,=20
too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>All that being said, making a flute of&nbsp;one's own =
makes=20
one appreciate all the more the beauty and quality of a flute that is made =
by=20
far more capable, experienced and artistic&nbsp;hands.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Selah.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>:o)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; jinpa19822003@yahoo.com 05/09/05 09:26AM=20
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>--- Tuscia-Falconer &lt;falconer@enternet.co.nz&gt;=20
wrote:<BR>&gt; Hello,<BR>&gt; I am collecting culms, not mandake but a=20
very<BR>&gt; similar bamboo of consistet<BR>&gt; size and for a novice I =
have=20
had reasonable success<BR>&gt; in getting them to play.<BR>&gt; My =
question is=20
regarding curing and drying.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Hi.<BR><BR>Monty Levenson's web =
site=20
shakuhachi.com has pictures<BR>and narrative of his experiences gathering =
bamboo=20
in<BR>Japan.&nbsp; He harvests in January (Japanese winter) and<BR>heats =
the=20
bamboo to drive out the sap.&nbsp; Then he dries<BR>the bamboo in the =
open=20
weather for three years, I<BR>believe.&nbsp; Heating the bamboo removes =
whatever=20
attracts<BR>the insects to the bamboo, so the insects do not eat<BR>the=20
harvest.<BR><BR>Then Monty makes a flute.<BR><BR>I think this is a long =
process=20
that I, the customer,<BR>have to pay for.&nbsp; I'm grateful to Monty =
and=20
other<BR>makers for what they do.&nbsp; If I had to make my own<BR>flutes, =
I=20
probably would not play.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>John=20
un/subscription information is at:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html">http://communicat=
ion.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html</A><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=__Part725142A7.0__=--