Re: [Shaku] OY! Sex and Gender in Japanese

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 07:26:50 PDT

OK - Can I please interject what might hopefully be a helpful suggestion to
our community?

I think we need to come to peace with the fact that there are going to be
e-mails we do not like, some that are off topic, and some that will just be
outright offensive.

I think one of our collective problems is that we tend to write reprimanding
e-mails, that are also off-topic, not just to the offender but to the entire
list. (Moment of irony: Just like this one.) The result: one annoying
e-mail, followed by a flurry of 5 - 20 annoying e-mails all commenting on
the original annoying e-mail. In the end, at least for the innocent
bystander, the punishment ends up far worse than the crime.

Therefore I would like to propose a new rule: if you need to reprimand or
critique the content of an e-mail in regards to content that has nothing to
do with shakuhachiness in its greater understanding, than please do send
your reprimand to the offender alone. No need to rub someone's face in mud
in front of everyone. (Yes, even if they deserve it.)

I think this will help minimize the snow-ball effect we have seen in the
past that rapidly brings these exchanges to the realm of the absurd.

Just a helpful suggestion. And if you find the above offensive in anyway,
please respond only directly to me. Thanks!

From: JASON CASTNER <jchanwagenki@yahoo.com>
No offense to gay people, if ya are gay, listen to girls
speak japanese and copy them if ya want to. :)