Re: [Shaku] List Moderation, Peace within the list

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@colorado.edu)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 09:22:22 PDT

--=====================_62963356==.ALT

It is very sad to see how this last run of comments has turned out.

People are in a flutter about which comments offended them, which caused
Jason to get more defensive and reactive and make more attacking comments.
Is there any wonder why he reacted so?

What if we had said nothing to him about it? Would he have reacted?

This list tends to react largely to "offenses" but less so to nice or
balanced comments.

For example, in the "Sex and Gender in Japanese" thread, which started this
latest war, once person writes:

"Any Japanese teacher with any level of skill will point out `only girls
say this` or `only boys say this.` I only had female Japanese teachers, but
they made a point of teaching the boys some masculine verb-endings and
things like that.
Being a heathen, I tend to use them regularly. And randomly mix them with
the femanine `wa.` It amuses people terribly."

This was right on track with the topic, addressing the issue while ignoring
the mud slinging. Nobody responded to it.

This person continues with:
"Back on topic... while Japanese words don`t have a gender, `shakuhachi`
does have a male connotation, simply because as a rule only males play
shakuhachi. And koto has a female connotation, because only women learn
koto. But that connotation is strictly culture-based, not grammatically-based."

Once again, right on track , nobody responds to it.

When Alcvin wrote those emails about the Tsuru no Sugomori notation and
then apologizes for mistakenly sending them to the list, only two people
responded saying it was ok. Why not? It wasn't offensive enough?

Is it too much for this group to be nice to people? Is it too much for this
group to not take offense at every comment made? Is it too much for this
group to hold their tongue and make comments that are on track with the
topic and ignore the rest?

What would have happened if there were no responses to Jason's comments,
and we just went on with the topic or switched to a new topic?

During 911, there were many notices of shakuhachi concerts in memory of
those who passed, the survivors, world peace, etc.

What would happen if THIS shakuhachi group would play shakuhachi for peace
WITHIN THIS GROUP!
What would happen if you played shakuhachi for anyone you felt made a rude
or immature comment on this list rather than rail on them for feeling offended?
What would happen if when YOU felt offended, you played shakuhachi for YOUR
OWN peace of mind?

Thich Nhat Hanh makes reference to what you water will grow, what you don't
water will wither away.
If you "water" anger, offense, etc, by giving it attention, that is what
will grow. If you don't, it wont grow. Rather, "water" kindness,
compassion, etc. and that is what will grow.

Bruce gives us the gift of the possibility of this list. We should not have
to burden him with moderating it. We should moderate ourselves, by being
careful with our comments initially, not taking immediate offense at
comments others make, and if we do, either make a polite response or keep
it to ourselves and go play shakuhachi to foster our *own* peace.

It has been said that the longest journey is between our head and our
heart. I don't think that means the heart of anger and fear and
retaliation. I hope that means the heart of compassion, forgiveness and love.

I vote that Bruce not moderate our group and that we each continue on *our
own* arduous journey on the road of compassion, forgiveness and love. Or
else, why the hell are we playing shakuhachi! If our heart remains cold and
full of anger, we might as well use that dead piece of bamboo as firewood.

Thanks,
Herb

At 08:21 AM 05/12/2005, you wrote:
>I really don't have time for this, but after requests from a number of
>folks, I'm going to start moderating the list.
>
>Moderating, for those who may be unaware of the concept, means that all
>messages will pass through my mailbox, and require approval, before being
>distributed.
>
>Comments, or complaints about the change, should be directed here
>(<mailto:bjones@weber.ucsd.edu>bjones@weber.ucsd.edu), offlist.
>The list itself, is going to try to get back to its original purpose,
>which is the discussion of shakuhachi-related stuff.
>
>Traffic of late almost makes me long for the science vs. art argument of a
>couple of years ago.
>
>bj

--=====================_62963356==.ALT

turned out. <br><br>
People are in a flutter about which comments offended them, which caused
Jason to get more defensive and reactive and make more attacking
comments. Is there any wonder why he reacted so? <br><br>
What if we had said nothing to him about it? Would he have reacted?
This list tends to react largely to &quot;offenses&quot; but less so to
nice or balanced comments.<br><br>
For example, in the &quot;Sex and Gender in Japanese&quot; thread, which
started this latest war, once person writes:<br><br>
&quot;Any Japanese teacher with any level of skill will point out `only
girls say this` or `only boys say this.` I only had female Japanese
teachers, but they made a point of teaching the boys some masculine
verb-endings and things like that.<br>
Being a heathen, I tend to use them regularly. And randomly mix them with
the femanine `wa.` It amuses people terribly.&quot;<br><br>
This was right on track with the topic, addressing the issue while
ignoring the mud slinging. Nobody responded to it.<br><br>
This person continues with:<br>
&quot;Back on topic... while Japanese words don`t have a gender,
`shakuhachi` does have a male connotation, simply because as a rule only
males play shakuhachi. And koto has a female connotation, because only
women learn koto. But that connotation is strictly culture-based, not
grammatically-based.&quot;<br><br>
Once again, right on track , nobody responds to it.<br><br>
When Alcvin wrote those emails about the Tsuru no Sugomori notation and
then apologizes for mistakenly sending them to the list, only two people
responded saying it was ok. Why not? It wasn't offensive enough?
Is it too much for this group to be nice to people? Is it too much for
this group to not take offense at every comment made? Is it too much for
this group to hold their tongue and make comments that are on track with
the topic and ignore the rest?<br><br>
What would have happened if there were no responses to Jason's comments,
and we just went on with the topic or switched to a new topic?<br><br>
During 911, there were many notices of shakuhachi concerts in memory of
those who passed, the survivors, world peace, etc.<br><br>
What would happen if THIS shakuhachi group would play shakuhachi for
peace WITHIN THIS GROUP!<br>
What would happen if you played shakuhachi for anyone you felt made a
rude or immature comment on this list rather than rail on them for
feeling offended?<br>
What would happen if when YOU felt offended, you played shakuhachi for
YOUR OWN peace of mind?<br><br>
Thich Nhat Hanh makes reference to what you water will grow, what you
don't water will wither away.<br>
If you &quot;water&quot; anger, offense, etc, by giving it attention,
that is what will grow. If you don't, it wont grow. Rather,
&quot;water&quot; kindness, compassion, etc. and that is what will
grow.<br><br>
Bruce gives us the gift of the possibility of this list. We should not
have to burden him with moderating it. We should moderate ourselves, by
being careful with our comments initially, not taking immediate offense
at comments others make, and if we do, either make a polite response or
keep it to ourselves and go play shakuhachi to foster our *own*
peace.<br><br>
It has been said that the longest journey is between our head and our
heart. I don't think that means the heart of anger and fear and
retaliation. I hope that means the heart of compassion, forgiveness and
love.<br><br>
I vote that Bruce not moderate our group and that we each continue on
*our own* arduous journey on the road of compassion, forgiveness and
love. Or else, why the hell are we playing shakuhachi! If our heart
remains cold and full of anger, we might as well use that dead piece of
bamboo as firewood.<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Herb<br><br>
At 08:21 AM 05/12/2005, you wrote:<br>
this, but after requests from a number of folks, I'm going to start
moderating the list.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Moderating, for those who may be unaware of the concept, means that all
messages will pass through my mailbox, and require approval, before being
distributed.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Comments, or complaints about the change, should be directed here
(<a href="mailto:bjones@weber.ucsd.edu">bjones@weber.ucsd.edu</a>),
offlist.<br>
The list itself, is going to try to get back to its original purpose,
which is the discussion of shakuhachi-related stuff.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Traffic of late almost makes me long for the science vs. art argument of
a couple of years ago.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
bj<br>