Re: [Shaku] Embouchure, sound, exercise

From: Al Skaar (skaar@oo.net)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 12:23:36 PDT

Where do you control the air flow? Your diaphragm provides the
pressure but what controls the flow?

Sometimes when I play I can feel the pressure build in my mouth and
inside my cheeks and the airflow is controlled by the lips. The
embouchure has to be pretty tight and small. This isn't so good
because it causes the tone to sound pinched and there can be a faint
but annoying high pitched whistle or hiss that is really distracting.
This happens whether I consciously open my mouth cavity and throat or
not.

The air flow can also be controlled further back in the throat.
Someone, on this list I think, once used the term "throat nozzle". It
sounds kind of funny, but it really helped me visualize controlling
the pressure of the flow of air from the throat rather than the lips.
The lips/embouchure can then be more relaxed and flexible than when
they are used to control the air pressure. I'm still working at
getting this right. When I do it correctly the faint, high pitched
whistling seems to disappear, or at least diminish.

I think the shape of the embouchure and the openness of the mouth and
throat are very important but controlling the air flow seems just as
important in order to "blow slow" or to control the dynamics of
playing. I know that sometimes it feels almost like I'm holding my
breath. For example, when playing tsu no meri the air just sort of
leaks out rather than blowing the note.

Anyone have any advice about breath control?

Thanks!

- Al