RE: [Shaku] Amplifiers for Performance?

From: David Amann (damann@financeinsurance.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 16:48:37 PDT

Aloha Bruce-
As far as amps go, I went for the Marshall AS50 over the Acoustasonic.
Seemed to have a more natural fuller sound. They also come in a 2x50
watt version, the AS100. They have chorus and reverb with 2 channels in
(an XLR and a 1/4 TS instrument). You can also run an effects unit in
the FX loop - I use either an ART FX1 or Alesis Quadraverb2 before the
amp depending on the setup. I use this chain:

Compact unit:
AT 831 > Art Tube Pre Studio > Art FX1 > Marshall AS50 (or SRW LA 10 or
mixing board)
Rack unit:
AT 831 > Art TPSII > Alesis 3630 compressor > Alesis Quadraverb2 >
BBE362 > stereo out to board or amp

I made a bamboo holder for the mic that sits it about 3" off the
utagugchi at about a 45 degree angle from the shakuhachi. Usually end up
using just a bit of reverb from either effects unit with nice sounding
results. The 831 needs phantom power so that is why I use a preamp
before the amp. If you have an inline battery or dynamic mic you will be
able to go straight into the AS50 or other acoustic guitar amp.
Cheers,
David