Re: [Shaku] Amplifiers for Performance?

From: Rich Powers (rpowers@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 21:23:11 PDT

On Friday, May 13, 2005, at 04:18 PM, Bruce Jones wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations on amplifiers for solo and ensemble
> shakuhachi performance. I've seen a couple guitar amps that have
> what I want, echo or reverb, XLR input, lottsa wattage (80+) but
> also have a lot of extra baggage.

You probably don't want to use a guitar amp at all. Most guitar amps
are designed to produce a very specific frequency profile that sounds
like an electric guitar. It is pretty much based on the tube circuits
and pickup technology that was available fifty years ago. Most people
agree that guitars sound best that way; some might believe that newer
technology is evil and will steal their souls.

A portable PA system might suit your needs better. A good system should
give you a more transparent sound than a guitar amp, without all the
effects that every guitarist is supposed to want. Keyboard amps might
also be more suited, but I've never used one. Would any keyboard
players out there care to comment?

Rich