Re: [Shaku] Embouchure, sound, exercise

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 22:18:14 PDT

John Baker wrote:
> There is a lot of magical thinking claiming that the
> resonant cavities of the body add resonance to the
> note. In fact, the resonance is in the flute, in the
> standing waves in the air chamber of the flute.

I have read a scientific paper (I forget where, sorry) saying that in
wind instruments there is always some coupling between the body of
the instrument and the inside of the mouth. The coupling might be
small for some instruments (I think the paper was concerned with
trombones) and not easily controlled by novice players, but in a
didgeridoo (for example) it's a primary means of controlling the
instrument.

James