Re: [Shaku] Embouchure, sound, exercise

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 19:49:21 PDT

Thank you for responding in such depth. (And thanks for sending us into
this conversation to begin with...)

To be honest my post was not meant as a counter-argument to what you wrote.
I think you are far better equipped than myself to be handing out advice to
others on this topic - I was just sharing my own experience as a novice
making the first steps of substantial progress.

I am sure that I am not actually doing the same thing I was doing 3 years
ago, it is just that I am not aware of the specific adjustments my body is
undertaking to produce a better sound. And my personal experience has been
that when people suggest technical changes I have found the exercise more
frustrating than the act of simply trying to will a better sound over a long
period of time. After reading your last post I have a stronger
appreciation that this has a lot more to do with the way I personally learn
and a lot less to do with the 'proper' way to learn shakuhachi.

You have given me some great food for thought...maybe there is another way
to move forward...hmm...

Thank you very much for your explanations and advice. It is very much
appreciated.