Re: [Shaku] Embouchure, sound, exercise

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 04:45:18 PDT

> When I reach for a nice ringing Ro-otsu I often get
> a sort of
> turbulence, an instability in the sound.

I have a question now, for everyone, but especially
perhaps from shakuhachi makers.
It seemed to me that "good" shakuhachi give good
stable notes. Each note is nice and stable, with none
of that mentioned turbulence. You can really push the
sound, without it rolling over.
 I recently tried a hasun made by Yamaguchi Goro. The
otu ro seemed to me unstable. It rolled over easily.
But anyway, under there somewhere I felt there was a
very nice sound. I thought, maybe this is a difficukt
flute, taking time to be able to play it stably, and
then coming into it's great sound.
 Would that be right? Is it that there are "great"
shakuhachi which ARE unstable, but are stable once you
learn their delicate ... way? Like, they have this
beautiful sound, character, and that one just has to
learn to work with (blowing) it in such away that one
can harness it, rather than work the bore until it is
stable thereby loosing that sound? Or, would you think
that the instability should always be avoided (by
working the bore), and regarded as a "fault"?
 Do we loose things by making the notes stable?

 Best wishes
 Justin