[Shaku] Korean taegum

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 08:03:38 PDT

>In Korea they have a large traverse flute, which seems
>to me to be the Korean equivaelent to the shakuhachi
>(called something like Tegem?).

The traditional Korean taegum (taeg=FBm) is a transverse (horizontally=20
played) bamboo flute.
The Japanese shakuhachi is a vertical end-blown bamboo flute.

>It is played by monks,
>and seems to be a tool of zen...

I'd be interested to see a reference to taegum as a Zen tool. It could be=
=20
a recent Korean adoption of the Japanese shakuhachi and its Zen=20
associations. Music knows no borders.

>Interestingly, they
>blow from the root end.

The traditional taegum is played by blowing across a hole in the side of=20
the flute, like a Western (silver) flute. The taegum also has a kazoo-like=
=20
membrane that adds a characteristic buzz to the tone.

Karl