Re: [Shaku] Korean taegum

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 05:16:01 PDT

--- Karl Signell <signell@cpcug.org> wrote:
>=20
> >In Korea they have a large traverse flute, which
> seems
> >to me to be the Korean equivaelent to the
> shakuhachi
> >(called something like Tegem?).
>=20
> The traditional Korean taegum (taeg=FBm) is a
> transverse (horizontally=20
> played) bamboo flute.
> The Japanese shakuhachi is a vertical end-blown
> bamboo flute.

When I said the "equivalent", I was not so much
refering to to the scientific structure of the
physical instrument, but more to the spirit or essence
of the instrument. So, my feeling is that the spirit
of the komuso shakuhachi, if I may say that, is like
taegum. Not the sankyoku stuff nor minyo. But the
honkyoku world.

>=20
> >It is played by monks,
> >and seems to be a tool of zen...
>=20
> I'd be interested to see a reference to taegum as a
> Zen tool. It could be=20
> a recent Korean adoption of the Japanese shakuhachi
> and its Zen=20
> associations. Music knows no borders.

Korea has much zen right? I think they call it jen. I
don't know the history of taegum. I know there are
monks into it. I have heard it said, that to hear a
piece played on taegum (by a master I guess) is more
profund than the most high scripture. And so on.

> >Interestingly, they
> >blow from the root end.
>=20
> The traditional taegum is played by blowing across a
> hole in the side of=20
> the flute, like a Western (silver) flute.

The hole (as I have seen it) is in the side like you
say, but in the root end. That is, the root end is
still there, like with the shakuhachi, but the hole is
in what we would think of as the bottom end, on the
side. Maybe there are others too which are dofferent,
I don't know.

  The
> taegum also has a kazoo-like=20
> membrane that adds a characteristic buzz to the
> tone.

Like the Chinese didze. Kind of makes it sing doesn't
it! But also, the taegum is really big. So whereas the
didze sings really high, the taegum is deep, like a
shakuhachi.
 Also, as far as I know they are jinashi. And I have
been told that they should be made even with no
electric tools such as a drill. Should be hand
crafted. That might be a mainstream view, or perhaps
an extreme view I don't know - haven't talked to
enough taegum makers. But it does make me think of
hochiku. The hard-line of simple zen, no added extras.
Just bamboo. Okay, and urushi, but that's "natural"
too. But that feel about it, just brings me back to
honkyoku feeling.
 Best wishes
 Justin.