Re: [Shaku] Chord progression for shakuhachi music

From: Brian Ritchie (brianritchie@mac.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 09:01:42 PDT

 Hi Eugene,

Seems to me that if you want to play with western instruments using those s=
cales best thing might be to play modally. Of course it just depends on how=
 far out you are willing to take the music. You can superimpose those scale=
s on any chord or progression you like. There is no rule that the scale the=
 improvisor uses must fit the chord. For example blues music usually has a =
minor scale on top of major chords. So you could do a blues or two chord mo=
dal vamp and just use those scales. Miyako Bushi works well against a 12 ba=
r blues. You can play through those changes using just those five notes wit=
hout losing the plot. Yusef Lateef has in his book a lot of different scale=
s superimposed upon one another. It's fascinating. The other musicians you =
play with don't have to use the Miyako Bushi or Ritsu scale. Equal temprame=
nt instruments strictly speaking can't do the Miyako Bushi scale anyway bec=
ause the second and fifth notes of that scale are approximately quarter ton=
es. On 1.8 Ritsu scale can be superimposed in it's entirety against a D maj=
or scale. It's missing F# and C#, but the other notes are all there. I thin=
k?!?!?

BR