Re: [Shaku] Chord progression for shakuhachi music

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 09:18:23 PDT

At 05:10 AM 5/29/2005, Kiku Day wrote:
> it has at the same time the potential to play in huseyni mode for
> example or any Turkish mode that may divide a semitone up to 4 units
> (Karl Signell, you can correct me here if I remember wrong).

Yes, the smallest pitch inflection is 23 cents, about one-fourth of a
Western tempered semi-tone. An advanced shakuhachi player with a good ear
and experienced in Turkish makam would find no barrier to playing correct
pitches (and slides). Try imitating the pitches and slides of a short
Turkish improvisation previously mention on this list:
http://shakucamp.com/papers/karl/

Tim Hoffman seems to cope successfully with Indian intervals on the shakuhachi:
http://www.shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html

>the Japanese have had only what we call "Western" music in their school
>system between 1871 and 2002.

To say nothing of Western music having for the same period overwhelmed the
"real" world, e.g., cinema, radio, CDs, supermarket/elevator/train
music. We might draw a parallel with Renaissance music in Western
culture--a highly specialized taste for the few, and performed by musicians
who have been imbued from an early age with modern pitch and expressive
concepts.

I'm told that Japanese music "taught" in Japanese schools is hardly even
token exposure. One Japanese participant told me the students are merely
allowed *once a year* to touch the instruments. There may be rare
exceptions locally. Correct me if these reports are wrong.

Karl

Karl