[Shaku] Hello...

From: Stephanie Hiller (stephaniehiller9@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 08:23:06 PDT

Hi everyone,

I've finally managed to successfully subscribe to this site (with Bruce's help - thanks for that Bruce!). I live in Somerset in the UK and I started learning the shakuhachi at Dartington College with Yoshikazu Iwamoto in the eighties. I now have occasional lessons with Michael Coxall at SOAS.

This site is a great resource and I'm really happy to have found it.

Can I ask if any of you have any thoughts about old bamboo or not when buying a new flute. I'm in the process of buying a flute from Monty and I'm fussing on about 30-year old bamboo, but at the end of the day, does it make a difference? I guess my thoughts were that, if it's lasted 30 years and hasn't cracked yet maybe it's less likely to. However, I'm now wondering maybe I should take the opinion, the younger it is, the longer I'll have it before it cracks! Also, does does older bamboo have better sound quality?

One more thing, I have been reading about oils for flutes and on one website, they basically concluded that the only effecive vapour barrier is varnish. Does anyone varnish their flute? What is the opinion on that??

Look forward to hearing back and glad to finally be here!
All the best,
Stephanie Hiller