Re: [Shaku] Hello...

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 11:50:24 PDT

Dear Stephanie and everyone else that gets this;

I've own three fantastic flutes from Monty. The one thing I like about dealing with him is that he is willing to work with you to your satisfaction. Which is near impossible when you buy one from someone who doesn't speak English. Also, the investment in his flutes is well worth it. I compared his to many at the Festival in New York last year and found many $4000-$5000 to be lacking

I believe two of my flutes are made from 30 year bamboo. Besides their aesthetic appeal, which is rare on younger Bamboo, I think they have a more mellow sound.

In regard to cracking it is not if but when. Monty's flutes have a cast bore which actually becomes part of the bore and adds strength to the flute. It is to my understanding that the interior is unlikely to crack even if the outer Bamboo does.

I feel that any flute that is properly bound, will have a lower tendency to cracking. (However, an inlaid binding may not help)

I lightly oil mine on a regular basis and so far in the years I have had my flutes none have cracked. A thought on varnishing is that it may also keep moisture out. Like any other wood bamboo needs to breathe.

I'ld go for the 30 year old Mandake.

Best wishes
Dominic