[Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #873

From: Jeff Cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 05:41:37 PDT

Hi Stephanie,
My shakuhachi was made from 30 year + madake by a very respected maker in
Kumamoto, Japan. His methods of making are strictly traditional. Through
my own experience, the biggest culprit responsible for cracking is radical
change in environment (temperature/humidity). Bamboo, regardless of its age
requires a gradual acclimatization period to any changes in the above.
Also, avoid extremes of heat (never leave you shakuhachi in a hot car in the
summer). I live in central Kyushu surrounded by bamboo. In the heat of
summer the sound of sharp cracks is in the air and that is happening to
bamboo still in the ground.
Whether you choose an epoxy cast bore shakuhachi or an urushi/ji bore, it's
strictly a personal choice. They each have their own peculiarities and
people will swear by both.
Varnishing in my opinion is not necessary (IMHO).
Good luck with your purchase.
jeff