RE: [Shaku] Korean taegum

From: Philip Horan (philip_horan@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 11:37:44 PDT

The taegum is known as the 'flute to calm 100 million waves'. It is
associated with ancient Korean court music called sanjo. This is influenced
by shamanism. As far as I know there is no Zen link. There is solo sanjo and
court music for large ensemble that includes taegum. It is also played in
sinawi, an improvised genre heavily influenced by shamanism. The tanso,
another type of Korean flute is the closest to the shakuhachi in appearance.

I recommend the recordings of Won Jang-hyon, the leading exponent of the
taegum. I bought a good taegum from Hanullim Korean Traditional Musical
instruments Co. Ltd. They have a web site at www.hanullimdrum.com. The
taegum come in three sizes. I bought the smallest as the others were a
stretch for my fingers. Gambate to those brave for a new adventure, Philip.