Re: [Shaku] Hello...

From: ** Bruce ** (logicsys@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 19:41:40 PDT

Hi Stephanie,

My first and only instructor, Marylu Branstein, a wonderful lady and
instructor, told me that the flute you first buy may not be suitable for
you, once you have the strength and power to play Honkyoku.

As you grow in strength your requirements will change and may need to be
adjusted. If the instrument is new or old is irrelative. The sound that
you require is relative

It reminds me of a current Japanese master that is still playing the
imperfect instrument that his father gave him as a child. He has had
countless opportunities to play exquisite instruments of current design, yet
he continues with HIS shakuhachi. It is most certainly not an exquisite
instrument, yet he continues to play it. Why? That's Honkyoku. That's
Japanese. It's real !

I hope you can feel what I am attempting to say here. It's Honkyoku and YOU
  It's not Honkyoku and your instrument.

It's like telling an exquisite tiger in the jungle that he should have been
a little more TIGER. Although you can be the Tiger's lunch in an instant.
Can we see the subtile differences in BEING with the shakuhachi. It's being
the sound! Not the instrument.

My hope is that you will discover YOU.

Bruce M.