[Shaku] cornell & Meris

From: JASON CASTNER (jchanwagenki@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 13:30:24 PDT

When I searched for shakuhachi material on cornell it
came up with lots of manuals, cds, dvds, ect being
held at the lincoln music library. When I finally
made it over there to check that stuff out I was
dissapointed. there was a couple manuals on how to
hold, blow into, read japanese music, say the names of
the shakuhaci parts (utaguchi, ect) and then they
have some old folk songs that im not interested in
learning to play. I guess its good for someone who
doesnt even know what a shakuhachi is. Then the cd's
and dvd's have to stay at the library while you listen
to them. Only problem being that the library is
closed by the time I finish work. Thats sad cause
they have lots of music recordings/ I saw a few Ronnie
Seldin cd's.

On the other hand cornell's kroch asain studies
library has lots of good books that I can check out.
I just read about Hakuin, ryokai, and ikkyu - 3 zen
masters. I also read a cool book called "ancient
music in the pines" now I'm reading the "Iron Flute".
 anyone read it?

About meris,

I sometimes have a hard time with meris and sometimes
I will visualize that my sound is an airplane.
picture the plane soaring up high and then slowly
pulling back on the throttle and starting a gentle
dive back down and slowly applying throttle and
steering the plane back upwards. sometimes I get
crazy and the plane zips around does loops and pulls
some serious G's. Maybe some of you think I'm crazy
after reading about my mind exersice for perfecting my
sound..

jason