[Shaku] Re: Netori

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 10:26:19 PDT

>From: "Justin ." <justinasia@yahoo.com>
>
>On one of Watatsumi's LP's there's a fast piece called
>Netori. Does anyone have the notation for it?

Given that no one has offered (at least publically), I'll chime in.

>From what little I understand, Watazumi wasn't big on writing out
scores for his pieces. I've seen some of his scores in the Int'l
Shakuhachi Assoc. Library, and they're written in Fu Ho U (sp?), aka
Chikuhuo notation (for lessons on which, see Riley Lee).

One way to get notation for a piece is to listen and write it out
yourself. This sounds more difficult than it is, if you have access
to a computer and some sound software. If you have a Mac, then
GarageBand, which comes with iLife, works well. On the PC, I use
Sonic Foundry's "Sound Forge" Studio 5. Both of these will allow
you to record from a CD, open up a timeline with the sound shown in
waveform, select a part and loop it.

What I do is let a phrase loop and listen to it until I can whistle
the phrase. Then I pick up my flute and work out the notes by
playing what I've memorized. It's a bit time consuming, but when
you get done you have, in a sense, taken a lesson from the player.
On my CD, Netori is about 1.5 minutes long, so it's not a big chore
to work through it this way.

bj

-