Re: [Shaku] Re: Netori

From: edBeaty (edosano@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 09:21:27 PDT

>Note; you can also use the wave editing software to transpose the audio to
>match your flute.

The software I like to use for parsing and learning shakuhachi pieces
is Amazing Slow Downer, available at:

http://www.ronimusic.com/

It is shareware, and well worth the purchase price--it is updated
frequently, and you get updates for the duration with a license.

It will:

Speed up or slow down the music, also change pitch (both
simultaneously if you wish).

It also will work in real time from a CD on your computer, or from
files on your hard drive.

It has the capability to save up to 10 presets (of loops, speeds,
pitches, segments of tunes, etc.) per song, and can save to several
different formats. Has a pretty good documentation file that comes
with it, and the developer (in Sweden) is very prompt in replying to
support questions.

Also has a pretty good graphic EQ on board so you can push up areas
you need to hear better and reduce high-end noise.

Lots of power; it has enabled me to learn many pieces which were
recorded in flute sizes I do not have.

I've used it for years, and I love it. It's available for both Mac and PC.

I also think that learning to determine which length flute is used in
the recording of a particular piece is very useful. If anyone wants
some tips on how to do this, contact me off-list.

I also think it's a fine discipline to learn to transcribe pieces
oneself, instead of looking all over for sheet music, which may or
may not be available.
This does take a certain level of experience; you have to have a
fairly accurate idea of what is being done with the shakuhachi on a
given piece, but it is a great learning tool.

Regards,
eB

--

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>= Ed Beaty Salt Lake City, Utah edosano@yahoo.com =<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=