Re: [Shaku] repetitive stress in elbow

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 07:56:41 PDT

>From shakuhachi-request@communication.ucsd.edu Tue Jun 21 07:20:06 2005
>
>I've heard of repetitive stress pain in the carpal tunnel from
>shakuhachi practice but has anyone had to deal with it in or near
>the elbow?
>
>Any thoughts or exercises or cures anyone has run across?

Sounds like tennis elbow (aka tendonitis). The fact that your
shakuhachi practice is giving you problems is likely related to some
other activity. For me, this is often when I've been working on the
house, and doing a lot of hammering. The shakuhachi brings it out
because I often tense up my right (hammering) hand while playing
(tension has to go someplace).

In my case, this is also compounded by computer work.

I spent quite a bit of time in physical therapy for the problem, and
put together a small website of the exercises that the therapist
gave me to do. It's at

http://communication.ucsd.edu/bjones/hand_exercises/

In addition to these, on days when I've done a lot of work or
playing, and my arms feel tight, I soak my forearms, from hand to
well above the elbow in ice water. I do this in the evening before
going to bed.

The exercises and stretches above also point the way to
particular yoga postures that are useful for alleviating
the stresses of daily life, work, and shakuhachi playing.

bj

-