Re: [Shaku] sleep

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 09:20:10 PDT

--- Tuscia-Falconer <falconer@enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> Stav,
>
> This is a timely post.

Hi.

Torpor or sleep is a fault in Buddhist meditation. It
may be desirable from a health standpoint to induce
sleep by meditation, but that is a perversion of
Buddhist meditation as meditation. It's like using an
antihistamine to induce sleep. It's a side effect,
not the main purpose of the drug.

Zen monks welcomed tea because it kept them awake and
IMPROVED their meditation.

If you (collectively, the list) want to link Zen and
Shakuhachi playing, you're pretty well married to the
concepts of mindfulness and awareness in meditation.
Forget sleep and leave that to the new agers.

Myself, I suffer from meditation syndrome. Playing
shakuhachi causes me to want to meditate and neglect
playing. In my view, the sound of shakuhachi induces
meditation and that means awareness and the like, not
sleep -- except of course when I go to bed.

Regards,

John Baker