Re: [Shaku] Charles Ives deconstructed 4th of July celebration in San Francisco

From: Brian Ritchie (brianritchie@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 14:56:47 PDT

On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:30 PM, nyokai@nyokai.com wrote:
> It was a minor intellectual crisis for me when I learned
> that Gertrude Stein was a Republican.

At least she was a Log Cabin Republican (drum roll and cymbal crash).

That was a joke. I was also joking when I asked whether Charles Ives
was the composer of "Blowing in the Wind". My sincere apologies to
anyone who took it seriously and/or literally. Still, some interesting
information came out of it. So that we remain on topic I would like to
mention "blowing in the wind" is good shakuhachi practice. Playing
outside on a windy day tends to disrupt the air flow. If you can focus
your embouchure to defeat this tendency it is a useful technique.